In Galway Hockey Club, our aim is to develop a love and enthusiasm for field hockey, sports and fitness in our young members, and to promote sportsmanship, competition, and skill in a safe, fun, and nurturing environment.
Please remember the players are children, the coaches are giving up their time for your child, and the umpires cannot see everything. This is Junior Hockey, not the final of the Olympics or the World Cup. If your child has a smile on their face and is with their friends – they may just be having fun. It’s not all about winning.
We are very keen to involve parents in our junior section and would be delighted to hear from any parents from senior infants to 6th class interested in being a class co-ordinator. We are also interested in any parent from 6th class up to U16s who would like to come on board as a Manager for the season. No experience necessary.
- Each session is required to be supervised by a parent A rota will be made for the season and each parent will be allocated a date and time to attend (will be the same session as their child)
- Once a parent/guardian has been allocated a date, if you are unable to attend YOU must find your replacement.
- One Saturday is required from YOU for EACH child.
- You will find this enjoyable. No experience is required, just be there to help your child.
- Remember all the coaches and committee members are volunteers.
- Without them there would be no club for your children to experience. The coordinator will allocate each parent/guardian one Saturday in the season to act as an Assistant to the group. (Roll call, collect bibs, balls, cones, attend any players not feeling well etc.).
Collection and drop-off
Parents should not “Drop & Go” before the appropriate time and/or before a coach has arrived to take the session. We cannot accept any responsibility prior to/or after the appropriate training time.
Club Gear and equipment
Each player is required to have/wear the following to each training sessions and blitzs:
- Club sweatshirt (red with logo)
- Hockey stick
- Tracksuit pants/shorts/skorts (for blitzs – these should be black where possible)
- Rain jacket
Hockey will be cancelled where the club management believe the pitch or surroundings are unplayable and dangerous. This has happened in the past couple of seasons during the very frosty/cold weather. Rain is not considered dangerous. When it rains, training will continue as normal, your child’s attendance is your decision. Where the session is cancelled, parents will be notified by the quickest means possible, via the club myclubfinances app, email, group text (if set up) or Facebook.
If your child has any allergies or medical conditions (that you have not already advised us of this year) please let us know by email, in advance of the first coaching session.